Monday, November 10, 2008

Food FAST!

Unlike the weekends where I have lots of time to kill between workouts, Mon-Thurs are quite busy with school, errands, and training...especially with the parking problem at SMU where I have to leave my house 30min before class (I live about 2min from school) in order to make it on time. So that leaves me with MINUTES to cook something really good and healthy- sometimes as little as 10min- yup TEN! Watch out Rachael Ray your 30min are part of the dark age ;) Also, I don't have the energy to prepare something dauntingly time consuming.
Anyway I thought I'd share a few of my healthy quick tips on my favorite meals (in no particular order):
1) eggs and brown rice- my comfort food, I usually have a big bowl of brown rice cooked the night before and then scramble some eggs with it
2) playing with ezekiel's sprouted corn tortillas- these rock! I'll take some ground buffalo, grill it and then toss Rao's (the absolutely best marinara sauce out there!) on top and eat it with the tortillas and some diced avocado
3) of course veggies with olive oil I love steamed broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrots, asparagus, snap peas, you name it. They steam in minutes and tossed with fresh olive oil, salt, and pepper (and sometimes some Bragg's Amino's for a soy sauce kick)
4) smoothies with mango chunks, blueberries, strawberries, peach slices, whey protein, and flax seeds...I use either plain yogurt or Goat's milk
*Goat's milk has become a staple in my diet. I have trouble with regular milk and goat's milk is easily digested by most people who are lactose intolerant. Plus I like the taste better and it's higher in a lot of nutrients than regular milk and never ever treated with hormones, antibiotics, etc.
5) Buffalo burgers with spelt hamburger buns from Rudi's bakery. Just add some lettuce, diced tomato, mustard, avocado, and onion
6) Brown rice tortillas from Food For Life- I make egg tacos, salmon tacos, beef tacos, chicken tacos, you name it!
7) salads! I love raw vegetables and usually make these the night before. Right before I make a dressing of mustard, apple cider vinegar and some olive oil
8) healthy tuna: NO MAYO! I mush a big avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice, tomato, and toss with the tuna. Sometimes I'll make a sandwhich with this and ezekiel bread
9) French toast with ezekiel, omega 3 eggs, and sweetened with agave or raw honey
10) hemp milk, gluten/nut free granola, and spelt flakes cereal
11) ezekiel bread with raw almong butter and 100% fruit jelly or agave nectar
12) Amy's lentil soup tossed with diced chicken breast
13) Amy's cheese pizza
14) Sweet Nothings- organic fudge bars sweetened with fruit

There, those are a few, more to come later....and some indulgences listed in there too :)