Monday, May 19, 2008

Next Up...

Captex in Austin this weekend. I love this race, I've done it only once, in 2006, it was my first Olympic distance and my second race ever! Wow, that's hard to believe, it feels like a long time ago.

After a streak of dreadful swims starting with the Lonestar races in Glaveston back in April (or was it March?) I'm hoping to finally have the swim I know I'm capable of. That's not to say I'm looking to pull an 18-20min 1500, but a 20-22 is very feasible I just have to get my sh*t together mentally. I'm thinking waaay too much and screwing myself up by having negative thoughts about my swimming abilities.

Yesterday and today I kept going back to Saturday's race regretting not going harder. On purpose I waited for the girl behind and swam the rest at a mellow effort thinking it's useless to blow up trying to catch back up with the pack and/or swim hard on my own and be toast for bike and run.

This weekend, I'm gonna completely block the fact that it's a triathlon, convince myself I'm a swimmer, ha, and just go for it. If I blow up but come out of the water where I want, then that will be the greatest achievement for the rest of my season to unfold.

On a more important note...my brother is fired up about his race, as he's doing the Olympic as his first "A" race. It'll be funny if he kicks my butt on his first Olympic, and trust me it's not all that unlikely. I might let him use my road bike (if it fits in the car) because his is way too small for him.

Then after that, it'll be back home and getting ready for Vancouver!!!!