Thursday, March 19, 2015

Hawaii 70.3- Children's Tumor Foundation!

We're fools if we do things the same way expecting different results, right?

Well, the last time I raced Hawaii 70.3 was in 2012- the birth of the low back "injury" that has haunted me since. I kept racing that whole season, and tried again to swim/bike/run in 2013 until calling it quits at Galveston 70.3....

Fast forward to now- I'm attempting a return to triathlon but this time with a different perspective and cause.

For one, I've come to terms with the low back situation and see it as a "dare" to manage it through a whole season by successfully getting to the finish line at each event without having to sacrifice performance.

Secondly, being on the SMASH/DIMOND women's team has renewed my sense of purpose and reach, in terms of being able to inspire others, by belonging to something bigger than myself. I feel accountable to these women and what we stand for, as well as all the people and companies supporting the team.

Finally, as part of TriCabo and TriCaboKidz, I want to be a role model for the triathlon school of Cabo and to walk the talk of sport development in Baja Sur.

I guess on top of all of this, is also the weird sense that if keys from the Universe keep showing up at my fingertips to hold steady on the triathlon road, it must mean I shouldn't give up! Not a believer in coincidence, I think when obstacles are thrown at us, and walls block us even from what we (*think*) want most in life, we have to take it with a grain of salt and accept that we are meant to be on a different journey.

For some odd reason, the triathlon train still reserves my seat! So I've decided to hop on board again.

I don't have a clue how I'll fare this weekend at the La Paz Olympic, or Galveston 70.3 in April, and I've now committed to raising money for Hawaii 70.3 May 30th...but I do know that I'm in shape, healthy, and ready to leave the back pain and results to fate. The daily process of and interaction with other athletes in this crazy sport is what makes me happy.

That said, I know that if I am to race on the Big Island again, it has to be for something other than myself, so when a friend mentioned Hawaii 70.3 and I curiously looked at the site the "entry for charity" stood right out.

The sense of training and racing for kids in need is far more motivating and fulfilling than for any podium spot or qualifying time.

The Children's Tumor Foundation asks for a minimum of $3000 dls by May 1st for the charity entry and it would mean a lot to me to have your support.

Please share, and follow the link if you want to help me in this cause:)!